Yes, your home educated child can attend a post-secondary institution for higher learning!

At SHBE, we spend a lot of time discussing homeschooling through the high school years and researching post-secondary education options for homeschoolers.  There are several different options for pursuing post-secondary education as a homeschooled student.  The options for each student will vary depending on their interests and various other factors. 

It is important for parents to know about and discuss all the options with their students.  The best course of action for any home-based learner preparing for the possibility of post-secondary education is to research the types of programs they are interested in taking, and to personally check out institutions they may be interested in attending.  Reaching out directly to the Admissions department of those post-secondary institutions and talking with other homeschooling families about their recent experiences with those institutions is also helpful. 

As a non-profit organization dedicated to serving homeschooling families in Saskatchewan, we also encourage you to read all the information we provide on our website, and to contact us with any homeschooling questions you may have.  If you have helpful information to add about post-secondary options for homeschoolers to this page, please send it to us!

Take note: We also have a Homeschool Through High School webinar (2023) recording available in our Recordings section, which is a longer discussion on this topic.  Webinar topics discussed include the following: What about post secondary admissions, Does my child need a diploma, What should be in a portfolio, Parent Generated Transcripts, Departmental exams, Dual Credit, Standardized testing (GED, SAT, AP), Adult 12

Below is intended to be a brief introduction for some of the options SHBE is aware of regarding pursuing post-secondary education as a home-based learner.  These are in no particular order.

Challenging Departmental Exams

This is probably the most well-known option for home educated students, and the one most school divisions are aware of.  If a student successfully challenges departmental final exams in Saskatchewan, they can receive applicable credits on a Saskatchewan high school transcript.  Here's the SK

The Canadian Adult Education Credential (CAEC)

The Canadian Adult Education Credential (CAEC) replaced the former GED® program in the spring of 2024.  According to the website for the CAEC, "The CAEC is for adults who do not have a high school diploma and are seeking access to: employment prospects, education pathways, [and] training opportunities.  You should confirm directly with prospective employers, post-secondary institutions and others that the CAEC meets their job or admission requirements."

University (in general)

  • Most Arts and Science first year programs a student can get into without an official Grade 12 diploma.
  • College board AP courses are available to help students demonstrate they are able to do college course work.
  • Students can apply as mature students at age 21 to almost any University program, regardless of their high school history.
  • Students can apply as transfer students into almost any University if they have taken at least 15 credit hours somewhere else (like at an Open University). This does not require a high school transcript.

Open Universities

Open universities like Athabasca only require their students to be 16 to take their courses. Students do not need to show proof of anything else. Thompson Rivers University has no age requirement or prerequisite rules to take their courses. Both are fully accredited in Canada and their courses are transferrable to other universities.

University of Saskatchewan (U of S) and University of Regina (U of R)

For the U of S and U of R, writing a SAT/ACT is enough to get into most programs, along with a transcript created by the home-based educator (the parent).

For information specific to the U of S and U of R in Saskatchewan, here are direct URLs to their home-based learner admissions information pages. These pages outline the multiple options for documentation required to be accepted as a home-based learner into these Saskatchewan universities:

U of S:

U of R:

Saskatchewan Polytechnic (Sask Polytech)

Saskatchewan Polytechnic requires an Acuplacer exam for most programs if you did not attend high school.

Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission (Sask Apprenticeship & Trade)

Sask Apprenticeship & Trade does not require a grade 12. Some programs only require a grade 11 equivalent.  They are very open to parent-generated transcripts.

Saskatchewan Youth Apprenticeship (SYA)

More recently, homeschoolers have been welcomed with open arms into the Saskatchewan Youth Apprenticeship (SYA) program put out by Sask Apprenticeship & Trade.  More information is here:  You can also contact SHBE for more information about how to register for this program as a home educating family.

Bible Colleges

Bible colleges will often accept parent-generated transcripts.